Well, this was certainly a learning experience. Last week, I sent out a survey (sent to me by a friend) that lets people know how much they know about you. It’s quite informative. After receiving a couple of responses, I thought I’d compile them. Some are pretty funny, depending on how you know me. Some are very accurate. These are *completely* anonymous (and in random order), so don’t be worried that I might single you out.
I started off with the following lyric:
Run my name through your computer,
Mention me in passing to your college tutor,
Check my records, check my facts,
Check if I’ve paid my income tax,
Roll over ev’rythin’ in my CV,
But you’ll still know nothing ’bout me.
Some of you guessed it right — the author in question is Sting. Specifically, the lyric is from “Nothing ‘Bout Me”, the last track on “Ten Summoner’s Tales” (released 1993).
And so, on with the results! Any comments I supply will appear in ‘’ brackets.
1. My name:
The real answer is, duh, “Geoff Sowrey”. Most of the results were correct. There were a few oddities, such as “Geoff Sowery” [note the slight misspelling of the last name] and “Goff Sowrey” [note the *intentional* misspelling of my first name]. But otherwise it’s good.
2. Where did we meet?:
There is obviously no right answer for this one. I met a lot of you in lots of strange and interesting places, such as:
- High school
- University of Waterloo, Village Two Residence, South A floor, TV lounge
- High school. Chris’ and my birthday parties
- Gah… University of Waterloo, South A.
- 235 Gordon Street, Guelph, most likely at a party, oui?
- University of Waterloo (more specific? Umm, camping?)
- Arkillago [aka Arkipelago]
- 113 George Street, Toronto, Ontario [aka Arkipelago]
3. Take a stab at my middle name..:
This was a good one. I didn’t realise how few people knew my middle name. It’s fairly uncommon (or at least it was until shows such as “Due South” and “ER” made it a little more mainstream): “Benton”. A couple surveys had correct answers. The rest believed it was one of:
- propellerhead [??]
- Son of Worf [more like a nickname from university]
- Archibald [this submitter did quickly follow up with the correct name]
4. How long have you known me?:
I’ve known some of you a very long time (some of you receiving this who didn’t do the survey have known me since the moment I was born — Hi Mom! — some of you not quite as long, but almost). The survey respondants gave me a range of between two and 13 years. One answer was fairly specific: “8yrs 2mths 7 days”.
I’m beginning to feel a little older now…
5. How well do you know me?:
Okay, this is totally subjective. How do you determine how well you know someone? You may know someone quite well, and then they move away or go to school. Suddenly, you don’t think you know them as well as you did. Things change…
The respondants were all over the board on this. Some claimed they didn’t know me well at all (which is to be expected) to knowing me quite well. Oddly enough, no-one claimed to know me well enough to say I was “predictable”. I guess that means I’m doing something right for a change…
6. Do I smoke?:
Everyone had the right answer on this. However, I will quote one of them, because I thought it was appropriate: “dear god no”. One of the respondants did have a good point, though: “Don’t think so, then again, you didn’t drink either.”
7. Do I believe in God?:
Okay, here’s a touchy subject if I ever heard it. But I’m not keen on starting any fires that might take time to extinguish, so I’m just going to say: If you don’t know, don’t worry. I don’t get offended easily. But I do have to quote a reply, it’s just too good: “someone has to be held reponsible for creating you”.
8. What was your first impression when you first saw me?:
This was a good one. This is where the true me starts to show through. Okay, you can all stop laughing now…
- That guy is a looney
- What’s with the sandals?
- Son of Worf [just remember me with a beard and long hair]
- shy, eager to be friendly
- Loves computers.
- loud [no comments from the peanut gallery, please]
- what a spaz!
- very intelligent person, with a few quirks [a *few*?]
- looks friendly, not like that scary Justin guy or that shifty little Jim, and he doesn’t smell as bad as that Rob guy.
9. My age?:
My age (current) is 27 years, 4 months, and 9 days. However, I’ll take 27 as the answer. A couple put down 26 [thanks for making me feel a little younger], two put down 28 [close, but no banana], and one thought I was “late gen X” [AIIEEEEEE! I could be as old as 38!].
The correct answer is 16 July 1972 (I will accept July 16 1972, of course). Some responses claimed it was “July” [close enough], “sometime in the summer” [sorry, but Alex Trebek would ask you to be more specific], and “you have one each year” [doesn’t everyone?].
11. Color hair?:
Officially, brown. Every response was correct. Luckily for you folks, I haven’t taken to dying my hair.
12. Color eyes?:
Allison tells me they’re green. I always thought they were kinda bluish. I just stared in the mirror. They’re kinda greeny. Heck, *I* don’t know what colour my eyes are. So I really don’t mind that the replies varied from brown to hazel to blue to green. (Yes, there is at least one person who agrees with Allison.)
13. Tall / average / short / fat / average / thin?:
Most of the answers were “average / average”. I guess that was to be expected…
14. Do I have any siblings?:
One. A sister, Cathy. Most were right (although only a couple knew her name), a few got this wrong.
15. (If opposite sex) Have you ever had a crush on me?: (If same sex) Have you ever been jealous of me?:
This was one of the few questions I was hoping for good answers. My ego running wild, I guess. Either way, all but three respondants completely shot me down (thanks, guys). Apparently, I’ve never been the sort to attract others … the nearest I got to others having a crush on me was “officially, no” and “A crush no, but I would say we use to have a close bond”. Only one of the same sex was ever jealous of me. Oh, and there was that one joker who *had* to write: “(Ha, ha, ha, ha!)” [insert sound of ego deflating].
16. Whats one of my favorite thing to do?:
Again, some pretty strange responses here. People have some pretty interesting ideas of what my favourite things are. (Everyone knows it’s bright paper packages tied up with string…) Answers included:
- Computer stuff
- bike really long distances once in a while
- make trouble with Stuart with Chris
- Play on computer, write, eat ice cream.
- play Doom
- eat and imbide Guiness
- play video games (it used to be Quake…?)
- Watching/talking/re-enacting Star Wars. [I’m not that bad! Really!]
- Used to be watch sci fi, hang out with friends, go to Jack Astors, ride your bike, and travel.
*Sigh* The things I used to to … wait a minute, I still do most of those. At least whenever possible.
17. Do you remember one of the first things I said to you?:
This varied for a few people. The most obvious answer was “Hi” or “Hello”. (I have a tendency of saying that when I meet people for the first time.) However, a few of you received quite different first words:
- “What channel is Animaniacs on?”
- “I wrote this program to enhance this computer game…”
- Actually, it was a huge rant about running into Chris on your bike, and getting invited to said birthday party [I was ranting? Me? Rant?]
- no but I remember a math textbook falling on my head [This is from my high school locker victim, er, partner]
18. What’s my favorite type of music?:
Wow. This one was fun. I knew I was going to get some pretty bizarre answers. For record, everyone was correct on this. It all depends what musical phase you caught me in:
- Sting, Sarah [Mclachlan], .. whattya call that?
- 80’s pop music [okay, what child of the 80’s *didn’t*like that music?]
- ANY bloody type [Technically, the correct answer]
- Sting obviously (that should get me the bonus question eh?)
- skit songs from Monty Python
- new rock (alternative)
- you like everything [again, the technically correct answer]
19. What is my best feature?:
If it were possible to blush through email, I would. Many of the answers were quite generous. I should have added a question: “What is my worst feature?” I think that would be just as telling.
- very sweet and generous person
- friendly nature and honesty
- sense of humour
- loyalty, selflessness
- Down to earth (wow, that was a surprise!)
- Allison. (Ha, ha, ha.) [This is the same joker who laughed earlier]
- friendliness earnestness oops thats two
20. Am I shy or outgoing?
Over the past few years, many people have attempted to tell me what I am. There are those who told me that my hyperness was a cover for my shyness. There are those who told me that I come on too strong. It seems that most people can’t really decide:
- Outgoing especially when chocolate is consumed
- shy, becoming more outgoing
- Outgoing most of the time
- you think you’re outgoing, but you’re really shy
- outgone [I take that means I’m past going?]
- outgoing externally, but internally shy
- Definitely outgoing
21. Would you say I am funny?:
Generally, this was “yes”. The range basically went from “very” to “maybe just a little” [although I detected an ode of sarcasm on that one].
22. Am I a rebel or do I follow all the rules?
This one was nearly as polarised as #20 — I obviously put across some very different vibes to people.
- Rules, unless you are hanging around Chris.
- rebel but in an off the wall way
- Well, you don’t follow ALL the rules, so “rebel” it is.
- a little of both
- Middle of the road
- follow the rules (in general)
- you think you’re a rebel, but you follow the rules, pretty much to a ‘t’ [Ouch! That’s gonna leave a mark…]
23. Any special talents?:
How do you define a “special talent”? I never thought of myself having a talent — I can’t act, I can’t draw (at least without the aid of a computer), I can’t sing (most of you know that). Okay, I can write (most of you know that) … but write well? That’s another issue. The respondants thought I had a few interesting abilities:
- “out of box analytical thinking” is not your average skill…
- excellent writer, great imagination
- story telling – in great detail
- many. being a great friend amongst them. Computer knowledge too.
- Prolific writing, belching
- geez, i dunno – other than programming?
- Playing baseball in flip-flops [when did I do this??]
- too many to list. certainly not a couch potato
- Never-ending energy
24. Would you consider me a friend?:
As a rule, I don’t make enemies. I don’t like them. So I generally make (and try my best to keep) friends. It’s not easy … particularly when most of them live outside the province. Most replies seem to agree with me on that. A few expressed concerns that perhaps the friendship is waning a little due to the march of time, but I think friendship continues beyond that. If you’re receiving this email, it’s because of one of two reasons:
a) You’re family (or about to be family). b) You’re a friend.
25. Would you call me preppy, slutty, a homie ,average, sporty, punk, hippie, glam, nerdy, snobby, or something else?:
Wow. Some really crazy answers here. I’ll let them speak for themselves:
- You are something else alright. You never remained the same for long periods of time.
- wackey, understanding, talented and more.
- Hmm, I’ll choose “hippie.”
- average [two people thought this]
- Edgy (when playing Doom with Scott lurking about the house). [The Scott in question is from University.]
- hippie with a touch of nerdy
- dog gone nutty
26. Have you ever seen me cry?:
Not many people have seen me cry. Those of you who have probably know me better than anyone else.
27. If there were one good nickname for me, what would it be?
Ah yes, the ubiquitous nickname. I’ve had a lot of these in the course of my life. I wish I’d recorded them all — it would be interesting to see how my nicknames evolved as I got older. At the moment, my nicknames appear to include:
- Grapes [my old boss gave me this … still don’t know why]
- Ge-off [pronounced “gee-off”]
- Son of Worf [although I haven’t really gone by this in a while]
- Pepe Gonzales [??]
- Han Solo [I feel like a scruffy nerfherder…]
- Celery [wow — that’s one I haven’t heard since I was a kid!]
- Macgyver [Yes, like the TV show — I got that from my dad, although he wasn’t in the survey]